Vanilla Pod by Chef Peter & Co




To celebrate my 2nd year wedding anniversary, I decided to visit this Vanilla Pod, located at Mandai Lake Road. I chose it to be a Sunday lazy afternoon as the lady on the phone told me, it would be better to view the orchids on a day rather than a night.

Well, it wasn't quite what I expect it to be. It was located in quite a remote place, a car is definitely needed to reach this place. There were no clear signage as to the main door although there was a paper notice pasted on the first door we have seen, requesting us to visit the main door further down to the right. That was when I noticed that a solemnisation was in place at the restaurant itself.

I wish I was informed of this soleminsation when I made my reservation because the purpose is for me to enjoy the view, isn't it? Since the restaurant was reserved for the soleminsation, I was told by the staff that I have to make my way to a place beside a cafe, which is that first door I saw earlier.
That male staff was also aware that we were the 2 customers for that day, so I do not understand why the first door was locked with a chain.

We went back and stood outside the cafe door, wondering if its the one, while at the same time, taking in the almost non-existent scenic view. Another male staff hurried over to open the door, set the table, switched on the air-con and FM96.3 radio music.
I felt that we were not valued as customers at that point in time and was quite upset that no one was prepared to receive us as customers. All their attention were focused on the soleminsation and guests. I guess I should expect to understand that, since the number of customers greatly overtook us but still, it would be better if they could have prepared the cafe for us in advance.

The menu itself was in a poor state, almost torn and slightly dirty. I was told that this room is a private function room and that we had to use this, because the restaurant was reserved for the soleminsation.
The private function room looks like a room, with 3 tables, 2 air-conditioned units, 1 bartop and 2 couches with cushions. There were 3 tables outside the door, meant to be for al fresco dining.
In terms of ambience, it failed, according to my standard. It looks and feel run-down. The condition of the room does not seem well-kept, in view of the old fabric couches.
This room overlooks a small pond.





Perhaps it would be different story if we got the restaurant but too bad, I was not given a chance because of the soleminsation.
We were the only 2 customers for that afternoon. It feels good since there are no disturbance but then again, it reflects that the business may be poor.

We were served by a lady and service was pretty good, attentive and polite.
The food presentation was pretty good but the food was quite average.
We started off with the Mushroom Trio Soup which was not really rich in flavour although it looks pretty tasty. For the main course, I ordered the Red Snapper Fillet and my partner ordered the Seafood Spaghetti, both were pretty moderate. The serving size is pretty small but I am fine with that.
I am only impressed with the dessert which is The Valrhona Chocolate Lava Cake. The dark chocolate ozzing out of the lava cake was simply divine. Its not the best but its definitely good. My partner was not that impressed with it though.

Order :
Trio Mushroom Soup $6.50
Pan Fried Red Snapper $21.50
Seafood Spaghetti $16.50
Valhrona Molten Lava Chocolate $12.50
Total : $67.05

Source : Mandai Orchid Garden

No comments