How Do Your Grandparents Spend Their Days?

Just can't help feeling sad. I visited my maternal grandfather this evening. He has been in the Wellness Ward for the past 15days and this is my first time visiting him, after I came back from Japan.
In my mind, I thought it was a ward with volunteers, social workers and nurses creating activities for the elderly to keep them entertained and busy. I don't know what I was thinking but I thought Wellness Ward should be something like this, isn't it?
Its for keeping the patients occupied in order to prevent them from thinking about other things. Isn't that what its supposed to be?

My grandfather has suicidal tendencies. He woke up each day to find himself wondering what to do that day. He has no interest in anything. He does not want to live any more. He found life to be meaningless. I do not know how I can help him. He does not know that he have been staying in the ward for the past 2 weeks. He just spent each day lying in bed in the ward. I just feel so helpless, so sad. I do not know how I can help him to overcome his suicidal tendencies.Can someone please tell me what to do, before its too late? I am so scared. I have lost my paternal grandparents because they suffered strokes.
My maternal grandmother is in a wheelchair, currently being taken care by a newly employed maid who does not seem to know anything. During the interview, she claimed to know everything. After the interview, my relatives realized she doesn't know how to cook, doesn't know how to help my grandmother, doesn't know this and that.

I do not want to lose my maternal grandfather. Can someone teach me what to do? I am so helpless and just cannot stop crying when I see my lone and frail grandfather lying in bed each day. He is always saying that he is hurting here and there. He has difficulty in breathing. He does not want to watch TV or read newspapers. He cannot walk or stand for long. The only interest he has, is to play chess but nobody in the family has that interest.
Is there a chess club for the elderly? At least I think its a good activity to keep him alert and occupied.

No comments